Sunday 25 May 2008

DPM 2007 DPMRA Error 10048 (0x2740)

After rebooting my Exchange server because of DNS issue, the DPM protection stopped. Further investigation found this in the event log:
The DPMRA service terminated with service-specific error 10048 (0x2740).

Google found this:

Essentialy you use 'netstat -oan' to find the PID of the process using port 5718 or 5719, which are both required by DPMRA.
Then use 'tasklist' and 'tasklist /svc' to discover which process it is. In my case, it was the MS Exchange Information Store.

I fixed it by stopping all Exchange services, starting DPMRA and then restarting Exchange.

It's kind of weird that MS Exchange can use the DPMRA ports when DPM is speciffically for protecting Exchange (amongst other things).

Thursday 22 May 2008

How to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar

Create a text file called Show Desktop.scf containing:


More details here:

How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows

I've found this quite useful in debugging slow logins or incorrect application of group policy.

Create the following DWORD value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserEnvDebugLevel

0x00030002 - Masses of debug info
0x00010001 - Normal

It logs to:

More details here:

DPM 2007 Internal error code: 0x80990A93

When changing the PG (Protection Group) that my server belongs to, I normally get this error message:
DPM cannot protect \\\Optical Drive\. The recycle bin, the System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected. (ID: 38)

Today, it suddenly changed to:
DPM cannot access the path \\\Optical Drive\ because part of the path has been deleted or renamed.
Check the path and enter it again.
ID: 36
Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A93

It took me a little while to realise that this was because I had removed the DVD from the drive! I thought I'd broken something by reinstalling the DPM client!

Tuesday 20 May 2008

SQL Database missing from DPM 2007

Having fixed my SQL 2005 issues with DPM 2007, I found my main production SQL database was missing from the list of resources available to be protected. When attempting a normal SQL backup, I got an error message telling me that the Full Text Index was missing.

I recreated the Full Text Index, (got lost when changing SQL versions - No backup, that's what DPM was supposed to do!), and everything worked great.

The thing I learned here was, if DPM is having problems protecting a resource, try another backup type for more information on the error!

DPM SQL Issues

I had the following scenario:
  • DPM 2007 Running on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (x86)
  • SQL 2005 Standard (x86) running on Windows Server 2008 (x64)
DPM would not protect the SQL databases, and kept giving errors that the protection was "inconsistant". There were lots of SQLVDI errors in event viewer, including a BADMEM error.
To cut a long story short, I found the fix was to replace the x86 version of SQL 2005 with an x64 version.

Windows Vista SP1 x64 - Multiple Taskeng processes consuming resources

I think I've found the cause, with not a little help, of all my multiple taskeng processes that have been plaguing my x64 SP1 Vitsa box:
  1. Open Task Scheduler from Administrative Tools
  2. Delete any User_Feed tasks
  3. Type 'msfeedssync enable' at the command line to recreate

Thanks guys!