Thursday, 28 September 2006

SuSE 10.1 "eth0 renamed to eth1"

After playing with the bcm43xx wireless module I noticed my eth0 had been renamed to eth1, indeed the message also appeared in dmesg output:

dmesg | grep eth1
eth0 renamed to eth1

After a bit of poking I found duplicates of my network card mac address in the following file:

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:0d:56:37:58:8c", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:90:4b:12:5f:fa", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k wlan0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:0d:56:37:58:8c", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:0d:56:37:58:8c", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth2"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:0d:56:37:58:8c", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth3"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{address}=="00:0d:56:37:58:8c", IMPORT="/lib/udev/rename_netiface %k eth4"

Removing the extra lines (eth1-eth4) and restarting the network caused eth0 to behave again.

No comments:

Post a comment